Home > RC Flight, YC-14 > YC-14 Post Crash Rebuild

YC-14 Post Crash Rebuild

Saturday after the crash Jam and I actually laughed pretty hard watching the video.

My son was pretty upset at the flying field but I was not to worried.

To start off I shot a quick video highlighting the damage.

First big thanks to one of the guys at the field who sold me a used 6 channel 2.6 radio set.

At least we can get flying. I like the fact it is small enough for my son’s hands.

This will be his radio long term.

IMG_6961

Both batteries survived the impact. Specially with them being front loaded.

IMG_6962

Did a few screen captures. Here is the fold.

Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 3.25.56 PM

And the moments before the impact.

Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 3.13.39 PM

Tear down time.

IMG_6963

Broken prop. Darn.

IMG_6964

The other one did not break but does show damage.

IMG_6965

Motor #1 I can see a slight bend in the shaft.

IMG_6966

More testing to be done. I’ll have to order replacements.

IMG_6967

Broken tail. Poor YC-14 looks so sad.

IMG_6969

Parts removed. GoPro was fine, engine pods good. One motor did release from the pod.

IMG_6970

With the wing stripped down time to start the repairs.

IMG_6971

I opted to use a 1/4″ x 36″ wooden dowel. Just had it handy.

IMG_6972

A little tip I picked up from FliteTest!

IMG_6974

Using the blade set to height I was able score a channel for the rod.

IMG_6976

Gluing in the rod and setting some wing dihedral.

IMG_6979

A lot stronger now for sure.

IMG_6980

The underside received a good dose of glue and tape.

IMG_6982

Weighing it down while I setup the wing dihedral.

IMG_6983

Repair section.

IMG_6984

The sleeve will help locate the wing and protect the repairs.

IMG_6985

There we go.

IMG_6988

The pods did take a bit of load and elongated the wholes. I added extra foam but plastic would have been better.

IMG_6989

Resetting all the gear.

IMG_6990

Tail back on. I cut in and added some posts to the tail to help secure it.

IMG_6992

Rudder and elevator restored.

IMG_6993

Now for air frame damage.

IMG_6994

The forward wing mount took a huge hit. So I had to add more pieces to brace and reshape it.

IMG_6996

The underside also required new glue and tape.

IMG_6997

Coming together.

IMG_6998

Wrinkled BUFF.

IMG_7000

Testing the wing fit.

IMG_7001

With the rubber bands in place I measured 9″ from the floor to the edge of the wing tips.

IMG_7002

Cut in new access points and reenforces the wing section area on the air frame.

IMG_7004

So a day later we need to balance the props and check the shafts.

IMG_7006

I did a static balance test and it is pretty good.

IMG_7007

She looks like a plane again.

IMG_7008

The nose still looks decent. I did have to replace all the plastic/windows.

IMG_7009

You can see the dowel tape/glue job. The wing feels really nice now. A lot stronger.

IMG_7010

Next plane will have this build right in.

IMG_7011

Wont fly with the gopro till later on.

IMG_7012

 

The first few flights will be limited.

IMG_7013

So I can asses any issues.

IMG_7014

That said I feel this is a good recovery.

IMG_7015

Will report back when she takes to the skies. Sunday was wet and cold…

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s