Home > AJR-48, RC Flight > AJR-48 Build Weekend

AJR-48 Build Weekend

November 11, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

Warning lots of photos 😉

This weekend was an epic build. It rained pretty well all weekend long so I was able to simply work away on the plane.

I am pretty happy with how things progressed from the updated bomb pod, balance the new top which is secured with rubber bands.

On to the massive (40) photo blog.

– I opted not to go with the FT power pod style on this wing. Save weight.

IMG_7480

– Speed controller accessing the air frame from a hole.

IMG_7482

– The 2nd ESC with 2 power wires proved to be a bit of a pita to get through. Forward of the spare is tight.

IMG_7483

– ESC pod is formed. Along with the flap servo.

IMG_7484

– ESC cap. I may need to add a vent to ensure good air flow.

IMG_7486

– Good access.

IMG_7487

– Twins.

IMG_7490

– Flaps are wired in and working.

IMG_7491

– Tail servos. Elevator is done.

IMG_7495

– Rudder next.

IMG_7496

– Just a small balance test. Adding the 6″ to the tail really made the plane tail heavy but the 2 batteries sorts that out.

IMG_7501

– Nose down when the batteries are in place.

IMG_7502

– This is without a tail wheel.

IMG_7504

– Still looking good.

IMG_7505

– View from underneath. The bomb pod still needs to be added but it is centred and should not cause to much change in CG.

IMG_7512

– Wheels. Part of the build requirement for me was landing gear.

IMG_7514

– Used the pieces from the YC-14 and bent them to provide more support. Then cased the wire in a foam sandwich.

IMG_7516

– Glued forward of the main spar.

IMG_7518

Tail. I opted to go with the larger wheel.

IMG_7525

–  Did test the 2 others but was not happy with the steering.

– Rear tail gear is a 90 degree bent wire supported in form attached to the rudder. Easy enough.

IMG_7529

– Adding the large wheel aids the balance. So why not.

IMG_7537

– Rear wing wooden spar added just for extra support.

IMG_7543

– Bomb pod becomes a convertible. I cut off the top and trimmed it down.

IMG_7544

– Reworking the servos at the same time. Also upgraded them to the 900’s which seemed to handle the load better.

IMG_7545

– Centre mounts. Very much like a real system on a modern plane.

IMG_7549

– Centred mounting point.

IMG_7550

– Bomb pod installed.

IMG_7553

– Added some support to the rear of the plane because I had removed a bulk head sorting out the bomb bay earlier.

IMG_7557

– Poster board was used to cover the rear tail section. Light and simple.

IMG_7558

– Building up the top section. Which again by my requirements had to be easy to remove and add huge access.

IMG_7564

– Clips to the rear slide into place and keep is secure. I tried the skewer thing but in the end opted for something else.

IMG_7565

– GoPro mount. From the old plane but this time around I’ve added the GoPro to all my balance tests.

IMG_7567

– Nose cover. The view is decent with a little bit of the planes structure showing.

IMG_7573

– Cleaning up the wiring. Sure is a lot going on. I’m tempted to build a shorter battery harness.

IMG_7575

–  Flight control receiver tucked up neatly under the GoPro.

IMG_7576

– Now that bomb pod is truly self contained. Just needs power and it is ready for action.

IMG_7577

– Battery stands. Still not sure about them but will try.

IMG_7578

– All ready for tests.

IMG_7579

– All buttoned up and showing a bit of nose forward which I can live with.

IMG_7584

– Looking forward to the test flight.

IMG_7587

Wow what a build session. Hope you enjoyed the show.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s