Home > AJR-48, RC Flight > AJR-48 Repaired

AJR-48 Repaired

November 16, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

The repairs did not take to long but James is a little annoyed I’ve removed the bomb pod to conduct flight tests.

I told him once I can fly the darn plane nice we will bomb the hell out of the air field. 😉

– Bomb pod and rear wheel now removed.

IMG_7632

I added stir sticks to where the seems were along the wing to help reenforce them.

IMG_7633

– I discovered the right wheel servo was damaged so I had to remove it.

That was interested as the servo lead had been glued along the spar. A little pulling and pop it came out.

It also meant I had to undo all the zip ties in the nose to disconnect the extension so I could remove the servo. D’oh.

IMG_7634

– Here is a problem. Can you tell the difference between a 9G (eco) servo and a 900?

I can’t. They sure look the same.

IMG_7635

– Right one is a 900.

IMG_7636

– So what do you do once you’ve glued them in and so on.

IMG_7637

I know this is a 900 the damaged one but once they go into a pile errr…

IMG_7638

– I’ve decided to mark all the 900 which are supposed to be the better servos. I am not convinced.

IMG_7639

On to the wing repair. Filled the cut on the right wing with glue and installed a brand new 900 servo.

IMG_7640

– Applied tape for extra protection.

IMG_7641

– Reworked the battery section in the nose.

IMG_7642

– Now they will sit down even closer to the front of the plane increasing nose weight.

IMG_7643

– Batteries will sit down lower then before as well. Which is good for the CG and protection.

IMG_7644

– All nice and tight. Wiring is a mess but not really a big deal.

IMG_7645

– I added Velcro to the bottom of the GoPro as well since it moved on landing.

IMG_7646

– Along all the seems I ran hot glue and then taped the wings. I think the paint had made the paper brittle.

IMG_7647

– Still we are ready to test fly again.

IMG_7648

– Right wing with the worst of the damage.

IMG_7649

– The CG is much more nose heavy now.

IMG_7650

I will also have to see if I like how it handles with these props.

IMG_7651

– Repaired the Tiger Moth after I got in trouble while inverted.

IMG_7652

– Knock the motor mount out of position and also the prop shaft. She needs some paint.

IMG_7653

– Wing was damaged as well.

IMG_7654

– With no landing gear the bottom end replacement pod will take some punishment.

IMG_7655

– So I taped the whole belly.

IMG_7656

– Shot of the blanking pod. Same idea as the bomb pod but with a lip up front to cover over the servo arm area.

IMG_7658

– All set for test flight #2.

IMG_7660

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s